What You Need to Know About Types of Dental Surgeons and Oral Surgeries
It is obvious that a lot of of us prevent teeth trips because we have a tendency to consider them as unpleasant encounters. But what we don’t recognize is that teeth’s health is certainly intricately associated with our general physical health. Therefore, it’s best we get yourself a apparent idea in regards to the types of teeth surgeons and the many oral surgical procedures performed by these cosmetic surgeons. This assists you understand particular commonly performed surgeries better and approach your dental professional with a more peaceful and open mind frame. So let’s take a look:
Forms of Dentists / Surgeons:
General dentists – They majorly focus on preventative dental care which helps you take care of your overall oral health. Though they may be capable of treating most of the oral health issues, they usually refer you to a dental professional or dental surgeons such as the ones described below:
Orthodontists – They are the ones responsible for rectifying incorrectly situated jaw bones, tooth and other assisting facial constructions for practical and cosmetic reasons.
Dental and maxillofacial surgeons – Soft cells in and around the mouth such as gums, cheeks, lips, hard and smooth palate, tongue and facial tissues are the areas of focus for these surgeons. The oral doctor generally really does the groundwork necessary for future dental function.
Periodontists – They assist in preventing, diagnose and deal with various gum complications.
Prosthodontists – They’re those which perform your smile makeover that involves mouth prostheses. They are often obligatory for both beauty and functional factors.
Endodontists – Main canal may be the most common surgical procedure performed by endodontists. It is performed if the inner most part of tooth – the pulp is definitely infected severely. To prevent the spread of decay and further damage, underlying canal surgery is performed.
Apart from these, there are also qualified specialists in dental pathology, dental radiology and pediatric dentistry. Now that you are familiar with the various kinds of dental care surgeons, let’s get familiar with the common forms of surgeries and what you can expect from them –
- Dental care Implant – As per the condition of your jawbone, the doctor decides the nature of implants and the dental care implant surgery is performed accordingly. This dental surgery is generally spread across phases and the entire surgical process may take up to some months.
- Endodontic or Underlying Canal surgical treatment – Endodontic therapy is also commonly known as underlying canal. It entails removal of infected pulp to remove infection in order to prevent further damage to the surrounding teeth. It is an economical remedy as compared to tooth extraction.
- Corrective Jaw / Orthognathic surgical treatment – It is needed when misaligned bite cannot be rectified with orthodontics. In some cases, to rectify birth problems or congenital abnormalities, surgical treatment becomes a must. The facial bones and jaw may be reshaped and repositioned and the jaws and the teeth realigned.
- Periodontal surgery – Periodontitis is a serious infection in gums which can eventually lead to loss of the jaw bones. So when this condition has advanced to the level where no basic form of treatment is useful, periodontal surgery is prescribed.
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction – Wisdom tooth removal or extraction is possibly one of the most common procedures performed by oral surgeons. When wisdom tooth or teeth erupt improperly or incompletely they cause jaw pain and this is when an extraction is recommended, so that the incorrectly aligned or erupted teeth don’t affect the surrounding teeth, gums and tissues.
- Oral and Maxillofacial surgery – These surgeries comprise complicated treatments or more invasive procedures associated with the hard and soft tissues of face, jaws and mouth.
- Cosmetic Dental Surgery – It involves procedures such as veneers, dental implants, crowns and fillings to correct and enhance the appearance of your smile. This oral surgery can be used to improve what is frequently known as a ‘gummy smile’.
- Cleft Lip & Cleft Palate Surgical treatment – Incorrect advancement of fetus in the first stages sometimes results in incorrect or imperfect growth of particular portions from the nasal as well as the mouth area cavity. This leads to a gap or perhaps a split within the lip, the roofing of the mouth area or both and is recognized as the cleft lip or the cleft palate. An dental surgery is normally prescribed to improve this deformity.
- ANTI SNORING Correction Surgical treatment – If medicines have didn’t treat serious snoring or anti snoring issues in that case your dental surgeon might suggest a surgery to improve these problems. The dental surgery for dealing with sleep apnea involves removal of a soft tissue located on the back of the mouth which is known as the lower jaw or the oropharynx.
Besides these, there are other oral surgeries as well which are used to treat disorders like Temporomandibular Joint or TMJ dysfunction, facial infections etc. Dentists and oral surgeons provide in depth assistance for pre and post dental surgery care so you can get the perfect results from dental surgery.